Peter - St. Helen, Michigan
Themes: parenthood

I believe being a parent is the most important job that an adult will ever have.

There are books you can buy on parenting, but most people don’t. We could learn from

our parents, although almost anyone can tell you what their parents did wrong. We could

do what comes natural, but that may not always adapt to sudden unforeseen situations.

I believe in discipline, and I don’t see anything wrong with a hand to the butt. I

also believe we need to play with our kids. Kids need attention. If kids don’t

receive positive attention, they will go after the negative. It is important that we find

time in our busy lives for our kids. We can play, read, walk or work together to

accomplish a goal, as long as it is away from outside distractions and is one-on-one,

which helps make them feel important.

I believe kids deserve the right to know everything their parents know, as

maturity dictates,and that changing emotions are a normal part of life. We all have good

days and bad days, so work through the bad days and appreciate the good. We can take

life seriously and have fun. I believe that their lives will be what they make of them and

if they want to be financially sound, they will need college degrees.

I believe parents need to teach their kids confidence in who they are and pride in

how they look, as well as how they perform their jobs. Kids need to understand that you

respect everyone, regardless of appearance or social status. I believe all kids deserve the

right to know that they are loved, to hear the words “I love you” daily and to feel protected when given a hug.

My kids weren’t raised in an ideal environment. Their mom and I have been

divorced for over sixteen years. My daughter doesn’t remember anything of the time

when her mom and I were together. Both of our kids know that both of their parents have

always loved them very much. Both their mom and I have made mistakes in our

personal lives, some big and some not so big, but the love for our kids never wavered.

The kids have also made some mistakes in their lives, but they have persevered.

They have great personalities, do excellent academically in separate universities, and

are determined to be successful in their personal lives, with each having their own

definition of success.

I hear people say, “What’s wrong with kids these days?.” I believe the question

should be, “What’s wrong with parents these days?” It’s the parents who look for the

perfect toy to keep the kids out of the parents lives. It’s the parent who doesn’t know

where the kids are, who they are with, or what they are doing. If the parent doesn’t

care, then the kids won’t either.