Becky - Elmwood, Nebraska

I believe with hard work and determination, there is no limit to what a person can achieve. I am a married, 34 year-old mother of four boys. Last January I made a big decision…to return to college.

My mother is my inspiration. She married my father a month before she graduated high school. She stayed at home and raised four children, instead of going to college. My mom sacrificed everything for us, she still does; she watches my boys while I am at school. I remember growing up she never bought herself anything new, she saved that for us kids. She has always been a hard worker, for 35 years she has had a licensed day care. After raising her own children and helping with her grandchildren, she still has diapers to change and running noses to wipe. My parents just celebrated their 40-year wedding anniversary. In three years, my dad will retire from the railroad. My mom says she is retiring with him, she will finally have the time to herself she deserves.

When I look at my mom, I feel like she was cheated out of a college education. She has been supportive of my decision to continue my education; she does not want me stuck with nowhere to go. I wish she had the chance I have been blessed with.

I love my four boys with all my heart, but I want them to respect and be proud of me. I want to be a positive role model for them, so they can look up to me. I also want to make my parents proud of the daughter they have raised.

I have always loved school and think it is an important part of my life. I wish I had enrolled in classes years ago. After graduating high school, I went to a community college and received an associate’s degree in Respiratory Therapy. I worked in that field for seven years before marrying my husband and starting a family.

I was a wreck my first week of school. I was nervous and felt guilty leaving my kids. I work hard at getting good grades, it is important to me. This time, college is different. I cannot study as much as I would like, so I have learned to power study. My husband and children are supportive, and help me in everyway they can.

The best advice I have heard since last January, came from my Biology professor. He told me “Getting straight A’s is not important, what is important is to find a balance between school and family”. I have taken this advice to heart, if one of my boys have a school event they want me to attend, I do. They will always come first to me.

I love my mom and thank her for always being there for me.