Alyssa - Iola, Wisconsin

There Isn’t Just One Answer To A Problem

He was a friend, a brother, a cousin, a hero, an idol, a son, and most of all he was my uncle. On June 30, 2006, my uncle passed away. He decided to take his own life, thinking that he had no other choice, but to permanently answer his temporary problem.

My uncle was a very cheerful and lively young man who had a bright future, and he had much more of his life to live and explore. When you were around him he always brought fun and joy to each day. Every time he came home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, everyone looked forward to seeing him. He always put a smile on my face and he will always hold a special place in my heart. I will greatly miss my uncle on those holidays, as well as many other times in my life.

On that sad day in June my uncle figured that there was only one answer to his problem; unfortunately there were other answers! My uncle had many other choices to choose from. He could have called home asking his family for advice or support. His family is very strong and understanding of everyone and would have been glad to help him just like that. If he would have wanted us to come down to Florida, which is where he lived, all of us would have been on the next flight out. We all put family first in everything that we do. It wouldn’t have mattered how much trouble he would have been in, we would have understood and continued to help him through his problem. All he would have had to do is trust in his family, than everything would be fine and hopeful, today. Instead my uncle chose to solve his own problem by himself, and in his own way.

Everyone in our family wonders why he did it, what he was thinking, if they could have done something to change his mind or if they could have helped him in anyway? Many people blame themselves for the death of my uncle, when really they couldn’t have changed the outcome.

This is why I believe there isn’t just one answer to a problem. My uncle chose a permanent answer to his problem. He had many other choices, but none that he thought were effective enough. Now all we can do is remember him the way he was. I will always remember all the enjoyable times we had playing cards together, just talking to him, and always laughing at his comical jokes. The only thing that makes this situation any better is knowing that he is now in a better place. There isn’t simply one answer, there are many alternative solutions to solve one’s problem, and my uncle just chose one of many. This, I believe.