Joshua - Iola, Wisconsin

Just Plain Music

Some people call me crazy, others simply obsessed. But when it comes to music I’ll admit I get into it. Music has had a huge influence on my life and can influence anyone, anywhere, anytime. This I believe.

When I first picked up a trumpet, I seemed to become one with the instrument. It fit into my hand just right and I couldn’t stand to listen to the instructor telling me how to play it. When I first brought it up to my lips and blew confidently, the barren locker room filled with an almost hypnotic tone. I sat there and listened while it echoed off the cold brick walls as it sent a shiver down my back. I was instantly filled with ambition to play more and just couldn’t put it down.

I remember my parents wanting me to practice and I wasn’t against it at all. I couldn’t wait to get back to school the next year and start my first year of band. I worked on my playing ability as much as I could and quickly became attached to my trumpet. That was the longest summer I have ever had.

After four years of playing my heart out on the trumpet I was ready to take on my first Class A solo. A freshman in a small high school I had never attempted such a difficult piece. Needless to say I was a little intimidated when I first looked at the piece. I had three months to prepare myself to play my solo in front of my friends and a judge that could possibly send me to state. I never worked harder than in those three months to be able to play a piece well enough to perform.

When the day came for the judging I played the piece with a few mistakes but got through it and was happy with it. I began to feel the emotion in the piece and put as much into it as I possibly could. The first words out of my judges mouth were, “ I haven’t heard that much emotion put into a piece like that yet today”. I walked out of that room confident with my performance.

Ever since that moment I’ve developed a new appreciation and point of view on music. As many of my friends listen to and have their own opinion on music, I also have mine and it is usually different from the majority. When I listen to a song or a band piece I seem to be in another world. I can feel the emotion, the pulse, and the life, that is put into the sheet music as it is performed with great care.

Music is a big part in my life. Bigger than I ever imagined it would be. Music has helped me through many things fun and tough. I believe it can help anyone who hears it in some way, shape, or form. This I believe.