Alexander - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: pleasure

I believe that everyone should try something new no matter how strange or exotic it may seem.

Ever since I was young I have been athletic. I played soccer in kindergarten all the way through fifth grade. During the earlier years of my life I played or tried to play almost every sport I could think of. Although I never tried extreme sports because they never really crossed my mind, until I was in about fifth or sixth grade. My father was going through his boxes of “junk” in the garage when something caught my eye. A skateboard. Something that I would soon try and that would change my life.

Trying new things is beneficial to anyone, no matter what background they have. The new thing you try could lead to meeting new people, going to new places, and you could also learn something about a different persons background. When I started skateboarding, towards the end of fifth grade, I didn’t really travel anywhere except Waupaca to skateboard at Swan Park. Even somewhere as close as 10 or15 miles away from your home can teach you something about other types of people.

It wasn’t until the summer of seventh grade when I started to travel to skate parks all around Wisconsin. I usually go to West Bend with my stepbrother. We stay at his mom’s house. His mom takes us to skate parks nearby. I’ve gone to Cream City, a skate park in Milwaukee, and there were at least 50 other skateboarders in that building. Also many of the people were of different nationalities. There were Asians, Hispanics, African Americans and many others. I probably would have never met any of these people if I hadn’t tried something new.

The trip that I learned the most from and is the most memorable to me is when I went to Jellystone Campground, near Tomah, with one of my friends. We stayed there for a week and they had a skate park there. That was the main reason that we went. One of the days that we were there they had a tournament for all the skateboarders. There were people from all over the United States and even a man who came all the way from Finland to compete in the tournament. No matter how young or old you were or how good you were at skateboarding you could compete. Although we were all of a different race, nationality, or social class we had something in common. We had all tried something new at some point in our life and liked it.

This is why I try new things all the time no matter what I think of it. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I would rather not do it again. I am encouraging you to try something new, no matter how strange or exotic it may seem. This I believe.