Jennifer - Greer, South Carolina

This I believe

I believe education is the most valuable time of a child’s life. However, many feel as though they have been in school for an eternity, which people my age really have, but they don’t realize how much they have learned and been shaped. As a first year college student, I often take advantage of school, I under estimate the importance of waking up early in the morning for a fresh new class. The first semester of my freshman year is winding down and I am just starting to realize that school might actually be good for me. I have gone through countless years of schooling but have never sat down and thought about this subject until recently.

You might be wondering why on earth as a nineteen year old I am thinking about how significant my education has been. I know this isn’t something that many people around my age might think, but I recently have. As everyone is deciding what they are going to do with the rest of their life, I knew I had to really think hard about what to do with my own. Teaching has always been in the back of my mind and I have a true passion to work with young children. My mother is a teacher at a community college and is one of the most influential people in my decision. She has shown me the right way to be an educator through her effective teaching techniques. She has showed me that a good teacher will do more than share their knowledge, they will share their love and glowing personality.

Thinking back in my earlier years of middle school and high school there were always two types of teachers, the mean ones that I just tried to fly right through their classes, and the ones who made me laugh, learn, and feel like I mattered. I had very few classes that I felt like I mattered, those type classes really didn’t have much affect now at all. The boring, careless teacher, like a domino effect, caused me to learn very little. I would study for tests and later forget all the material the next day, I would doze off in class and I would count down the minutes to the bell for the exciting class that awaited me. I understand why I drifted through those classes, I didn’t see anything in the teacher other than someone giving me something to memorize. It is easier to learn when you can relate to it or have fun and even laugh which seems to cause learning easier and more pleasurable. The world needs more teachers like my mother, she not only has a great time with her students in her math classes, but she will go out of her way to stay after her work hours to help any student with their class work or with personal issues because she cares. to her and she comforts them.