Kaitlyn - Iola, Wisconsin

Band-Aids Can’t Fix Everything

I was always taught that mistakes happen, it’s a part of life and you just have to learn to live with them. When I would make a mistake, I was told to figure out what I did wrong and try to fix it. Some mistakes can’t always be fixed so easily. Everybody makes mistakes, there’s no way around them, some are easier to fix than others and some can’t be fixed at all. You just have to acknowledge your mistakes and hope you learn from them and be sure you don’t take things for granted.

When I was little, I would throw temper tantrums all the time until I got what I wanted. I would kick, scream, punch, do what ever it took to get my way. My mom put up with it everyday, although I’m not sure why. At the age of fourteen, my mom had some problems in her life that she needed to sort out. I didn’t understand why, she said she just needed some time to think about life.

It was a Thursday, just ten days before Christmas; my sister wasn’t feeling well so she stayed home that day. I went to school just like any other day. When I came home from school, I walked in the door to find my sister crying. I asked what was the matter. “Mom is gone” she said.

“What do you mean, did she go to the store?”

No she didn’t go to the store, she was just gone. She didn’t take anything with her, so I thought she was going to come back. I thought she just needed a little time to think. We tried calling her cell phone, we called family members and friends, but nobody knew where she was.

About a week-and-a-half later, I got a phone call from my brother Zach. He said that mom was gone for good this time. That she wasn’t coming back. My mom has left before, but only for a few days, but this time, she really wasn’t coming back.

I didn’t know what to do. So I called my aunt’s house. My mom was staying there and I asked to speak with her. My aunt politely said that she could not talk because she needed more time to think. I gave her time. It was hard, because my mom has always helped me through my problems and I took all of that for granted.

Now I talk to my mom about once every week, we make small talk and just talk about life, just as we used to do. Like nothing has changed. Everything has remained the same. But it didn’t, I pushed my mom away, I took everything she did for me for granted. Just goes to show how selfish people can be without even realizing it. People make mistakes, people try to fix them, but the ones that count, sometimes can’t be fixed. This I believe.