Marissa - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: setbacks

Pushed To The Edge

In high school there are certain pressures that are applied on students by other students that make a person feel that they must obtain a certain image just to fit in. By believing in this image many students hide who they are just to please those around them, even at the cost of caging the person they truly are. Everyone should be themselves, this I believe.

In every school, every state, and every nation there is a nasty little thing called peer pressure. This peer pressure makes students believe that they must obtain a certain image to be accepted. But the truth of the matter is that the only image anyone needs to obtain is one that they, themselves are happy with.

If we go through life trying to please everyone else all we would have accomplished in the end is to have built unhappy, unsatisfying lives for ourselves. What would be the point of that?

Another thing to remember is that there are so many people in this world. No one can possibly please them all. The only person anyone needs to please in life is himself or herself. Besides you can’t be happy with anyone or anything else until your happy with yourself.

Think about it. If we all went around constantly trying to please everyone, the world’s population would be nothing but a mass of overly emotional, unhappy people.

I speak from personal experience. Once upon a time I was a people pleaser too. And by being one of these pleasers I not only buried the real person I was but I ended up hurting someone who had once meant everything to me. And I did it all for the sake of being liked, and popular. After I hurt that person so badly I realized how wrong it was. I was letting the idea of obtaining the ‘perfect image’ destroy the person I truly was. The person who I had always been happy with being before. And the person I hurt most besides myself by doing this has never spoken to me again. That’s how badly I messed up. As you can see that image is not worth the price. Ever. All your doing by trying to gain this image is denying yourself true happiness and most likely hurting yourself and maybe even those around you.

What it all comes down to is that in life we have two choices. You can go through life being unhappy while trying to please everyone else, or you can be yourself and value you the friends who love you for who that person is even more. Everyone should be themselves. This I believe.