mary - napoleon, Ohio

This i Believe

I have heard people say, “Follow your heart or follow your dreams”, but do they honestly mean it? Personally I believe you should always follow your heart and not the

heart of others, no matter what the situation. This statement has become my motto because of the lessons I have learned and because of personal experiences in my life.

Throughout my life, I’ve often asked somebody the big question: “What should I do?” This question usually pertains to a relationship, a friendship or a job. Sometimes I would listen to this advice and then I ended up getting hurt because I followed someone else’s heart and not my own. Which makes me ask why do people always ask for help, why can’t everyone just listen to their hearts and do what they think is best for them?

As I was growing up, my parents said, “You should be a vet, a cheerleader, a pediatrician or even join the military.” Sometimes my friends would tell me “You should dump him, he’s not good enough for you, you can find someone way better,” or they have said “Stay with her. She is so sweet. She always treats you like a queen.” Why did I always ask others what I should do?.. Why couldn’t I make up my own mind? Now I realize I was scared or I was too confused. I realize today that the only person’s heart I should listen to is my own. The best person to ask about matters of my heart is me.

When I say, follow your heart and not the heart of others, I also mean, follow your dreams! Everyone should do what they feel is best for them. No one should depend on someone else to make up their mind for them.

Following my own motto and following my heart helped me to realize what I want to do for my career. I want to be a masseuse and maybe go into the military to get my education. It is my choice. As far as relationships go, I often don’t know what I’m going to do, but I know I will make those decisions on my own.

Now I understand that my relationship problems should be only with whom I choose to be with and myself. Also the job I end up with in my life should be the result of my choosing. I realize I should turn to my heart first. Finally I hope everyone can learn from my saying or motto and follow their heart and not the heart of others.