Brittany - Napoleon, Ohio

Listen to Your Heart

Everyday you are given a series of choices. With every choice that you are faced with; you always have a strong feeling about one of them. Sometimes the choices that you want to choose you don’t. We do this because we think that in the long run that choice may not be the most logical decision. In my 18 years of living, I have found that you should always follow your heart no matter what the outcome may be!

When I was in the 7th grade, I became friends with a boy named Derick. We became very close in a short amount of time. We told each other everything; and we loved being each other’s company very much. The only thing that I kept from Derick was the fact that deep down I loved him dearly, more than a friend. I never wanted to tell him this, due to the fact that I thought it would ruin our precious friendship. Not a day went by when I wouldn’t sit and think about how it would feel if we were together. When Derick had a girlfriend I would always make up excuses why I thought he should not be with her. I would say things such as they were not a cute couple, or she was just going to cheat on him. Sadly he would listen every time, and ended the relationship immediately. This upset me greatly, due to the fact that I was saying things about these girls that had no truth behind it.

Finally our junior year of high school, I became tired of dreaming, and wanted to make it a reality. I thought that calling him would be the best way, since that wouldn’t be anything out of character. My heart was beating out of control, and finally I told him. I felt the relief of following my heart, and doing what I had always wanted to do. Amazingly Derick shared the same feelings as I did. I was almost angered when I thought back to all the time I had wasted wishing and dreaming. I could have been with him the whole time. As I said in the beginning, if I had followed my intuition in the first place I would not of had so many years of unhappiness, and dead-end relationships.

Following your heart, no matter the outcome, is such an important trait to me If you do not choose the option that you want then the only person that your cheating is yourself. If you cannot do the choices that you feel strongly about, then why have options? You should not worry so much about the outcomes. Everyone in this world has felt some kind of failure or rejection. Sadly this is a part of life. When you have to feel those feelings, and someone does not agree with you at least you know that the decision was your own, and no one else’s!