Brian - Napoleon, Ohio

Conformity is the sole ingredient in the lives of adolescents. Many people have fear that if they go against “the norm” their peers will judge their actions, and disapprove of them. This is a mistake that many people make, including myself, and it is a certain mishap that can hinder one’s lifestyle. I believe that in order to stray from the superficial lifestyle of conformity, one must simply be themselves, while living life to the fullest.

Upon entering high school, I was very timid and soft-spoken. As my freshman year came to an end, I managed to gain a few close friends that I felt comfortable around. Although I was myself among this minute group of friends, I still suffered an inferiority complex among the masses. Being involved in band, drama, peer mediation, and intramural volleyball helped me to come out of my shell and realized, there’s more to life then what people think. That is when I started having fun, going out on the weekends, and doing things that I enjoyed doing because I enjoyed doing them.

Sometimes people ask me why I do some of the things I do such as wearing girls pants. I make sure to let them know, that as long as I am happy, and content with myself, that is all that matters. I would like to make it one of my goals to try and influence the general public of my philosophy.

The truth is, many people, such as myself, do not realize what they are missing out on until it is too late. Now that I look back, I realize that I missed out on many opportunities, because I was afraid of failure. After realizing this, I would rather fail at something, knowing I tried my hardest, than have regrets. That is why- when in doubt; it is best just to do what your instinct tells you. After making that decision, if you held nothing back what so ever, then you made that right choice.

Everyone is put on this earth for a reason. One may never find out what that reason is if life is lived on “what ifs.” In every action that you take, be sure to make an independent decision based on your own morals and beliefs, not the beliefs of others. Do not seek refuge in conformity, for if you do all is lost; “nothing ventured, nothing gained.”