Kristen - Napoleon, Oregon

This I Believe….

Some people never seem happy about anything in their life. They are always complaining and don’t realize how good their life is. Also, they don’t seem to appreciate anything that is going on in their lives. It’s always one thing after another and nothing seems to go their way. They should take a look around and realize what they have, because they won’t notice until it’s gone. I believe that you should never take your family for granted.

This belief influences my way of life because I used to feel and do the same thing. I always complained about my family and how I disliked being around them. I always wanted them to leave me alone. Now I regret all of these feelings because I have experienced what is feels like to be separated from part of my family. Due to a divorce my family is now split up. I live with my dad and two of my sisters while my third little sister lives with my mom. I never thought this would happen to me and now I wish I could go back in time and cherish every moment with my parents when they were together and we were all a family.

I see so many teenagers who are rushing their childhood so they can be out on their own without their parents. I also see them trying their hardest to make up reasons why they don’t want to go home. If they were to stop and think about how they would feel if they didn’t have a family to go home to every night. What would happen if their families were to die tomorrow? They would be devastated and they would want to have their families back.

When a child’s parents get a divorce the family is never the same. Some of the children go with different parents and that child misses out on a lot of things that they could have done with their families. There will no longer be “family” vacations, or family dinners at the dinner table. I believe that once a child goes through this and realizes the outcome, they will never be the same person again. The feeling you get when you are with your family, having a good time, and feeling loved and seeing the love between your parents will never be there again. So I strongly believe that you should enjoy every second you are with your family because you never know what could change tomorrow.