Jordan - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

Growing Up is Overrated

Have you ever heard that old saying, “Life is all work and no play?” Well, that’s not necessarily true, as long as you don’t want it to be. As adults, or in my case, young adults, we tend to be drowned with the responsibilities and obstacles put in front of us as we mold our future. When I was a kid, none of this mattered to me. It seemed like light-years away. Maybe that’s the reason why we let life get so serious. Why must having fun stop when you grow older?

Everything I did as a kid was easy. I had an endless amount of energy. When Mom yelled at me to come inside it was the worst news in the world. I’ve been heavily involved with athletics as long as I can remember. This mindset works very well with athletics, such as football. Yeah, practice sucks and I don’t look forward to nine-hour days starting at 6:30 AM every morning. Then I realize, I love doing what I do. Even if it requires this much effort. If I didn’t like playing the game so much, no way I ever get up that early to do what I have to do. When I was a kid, it was simple. I played because it was fun.

There are always those people that complain constantly about the work. As long as you take something with the right attitude and just make fun with it, anything can be easy. None of your time on Earth is guaranteed, so make the best of what you have now.

College and post-high school plans scare me. I don’t have a clue what I’m going to study, where I’m going to live, or whom I’ll ever see again. Again, it doesn’t have to be so strenuous. When I think about it, a collegiate education, no matter where, is still a pretty good education. I’m going to learn something valuable regardless. Losing friends is always a scare, but they don’t have to leave, plus I’m always going to find new people that I’ll love. There is so much of the world left to see. Go out and explore the world! Sometimes I think to myself, “I can’t BELIEVE that I’ve been locked up in Ohio for eighteen years!”

Life is way too short to be stressed out and not having a good time. Granted that it’s pretty much inevitable, but I think that if you have the right people around you, and you’re doing what you love, you will enjoy life and prosper. Life is like a huge blank sheet of paper, waiting for you to draw it out. Be creative, be a kid, have fun. Life is yours for the taking; make your own rules. I leave you with this piece of advice…Never grow up.