Jacqueline - Scottsville, Kentucky

Angels Exist Because I Smell Them

Smell is the strongest sense in the body, so naturally when you smell something bad you remember it for life. My grandmother passed away seven years ago, and I have missed her everyday. Every year on the date she went to the kingdom in the sky, I break down and cry. Then I get this sense of relief because all of a sudden I smell Imari Eau de Cologne Spray. The exact cheap Avon perfume she used to wear. Then I am no longer sad at the fact that she isn’t with me. This is why I believe that angels exist because I smell them.

Mamaw was the first one who taught me how to cook my favorite food, spaghetti. Everyone in the family is envious of me because she taught me and only me how to cook it to her exact specifications. They try to get it out of me, but I just leave them hanging, its something special between Mamaw and me. At my Dad’s house in the cabinet, you will see countless recipes that she had and gave to me to learn. Times I end up in the floor with flour everywhere crying because I am frustrated at the fact that I cant get it right, then there are times I get it perfectly. Since her death, I have been trying one at a time only to be rejoiced with the fact that to this day I can still have a little piece of her with me.

It takes a lot of energy to try to forget the hurt of losing a loved one, but with out the suffering there would be no compassion. My heart still yearns to hear her voice and for her to teach me the life lessons that I have in stored for me. Now I have learned in order to remember the great all you have to do is take a step back and take a deep breath.