Logan - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: sports

One Saturday morning when I was in the second grade, I was sitting on the floor in my living room at home watching cartoons. After watching cartoons for awhile, the phone rang so I got up and walked over to answer it. It was one of my very good friends asking me if I wanted to go skiing at the local Iola Winter Sports Club for an afternoon of skiing and fun with some other friends. We met at the sports club, found some skis and headed out on the trails.

Ever since then I have been hooked on the sport of cross-country skiing. There is no better feeling than being out in the woods with the snow flying by and the deer watching me as I ski down the trails. I feel like I am leaving all of my cares behind me. I can forget about everything else and just ski for fun.

Five years later after skiing every Saturday and Sunday, I was asked to join the local team that practiced out at the sports club every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Skiing not only became my favorite hobby it became a lifestyle from the first week in December to the first week in March. I not only had to train harder to place higher but I had to eat right and take better care of my body so it would last into the latter part of the season.

If you try to ski or do some other type of endurance sport and don’t take care of yourself, you might just find your body shutting down in the middle of a race. And that means eating all of your mom’s horrible tasting vegetables. Staying in shape and eating healthy is not only good for you but you will be happier later in life because you started taking care of yourself when you were young.

Skiing and running don’t have to be taken too seriously, but they can be used as a vital tool to keep you healthy for years to come.