Mike - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: pleasure

Hobbies

My belief is that everyone should have a hobby. I don’t mean stamp collecting or model building, unless you’re into that. I mean any thing that you can do for fun or relaxation. A hobby can help a person’s attitude, social life, and even their health.

Anything can be a hobby, from football to reading to woodworking. Nothing says that you can only have one pastime. A person can relieve stress, and be happier just by doing whatever it is they enjoy doing. Another great reason to have a hobby is that you can make friends that like the same hobby. Having something in common will give you something to talk about and compare. All my friends and I have similar hobbies in common with each other. I know that we never would have become friends if we didn’t realize that we had something in common.

Hobbies can even help prevent depression. My logic for this is that doing something that you enjoy makes you happy. What are you when you aren’t happy? Sad, when you are sad you are depressed.

You can even make a career out of virtually every hobby there is. If you like books, you can become a book critic. If you like model building, you can become an architect or a contractor. There are endless possibilities.

Having a pastime that you enjoy is also a good way of relieving stress and improving your mood. More than once, when I was just upset at the world, I would just go outside, take a deep breath, and do some target practice. My mood would improve, along with my accuracy. There have even been studies that have shown that having a hobby that exercises your brain can reduce the chance of getting Alzheimer’s.

There is an endless amount of excellent reasons why you should have a hobby. A good pastime can improve everything from improving your social life, to your overall health. I could go on and on about how everyone should have a hobby, but I am running out of time. My name is Mike, and this I believe.