Laura - Iola, Wisconsin

Dreams and Reality

All events happen for a reason with good or bad outcomes. I believe that being young is a gift. We were all little at some point and time or will be. Our minds ran wild as if they had their own imagination. We dreamed of big things and small things. Who we wanted to be, what we wanted to do, how it was so exciting to us and didn’t even care as to what the other kids thought. None of us ever cared as to what was going on around us. The only thing any of us ever cared about was our own dreams and how we made ourselves believe that it was all true as if it really had happened. It was all fun and games and easy but that’s before many of us grow up and get into the real world.

When I was little I dreamed of just about everything anyone could think of, and I drew myself to believe that someday that’s going to be me. Standing there before everyone and saying this is me, this is who I am, and this is what I want to do. When I was young I thought that I knew exactly what I wanted to be and I stand here before you today saying the complete opposite. I have no idea as to what I want to be, where I want to go, and how I’m going to get there. I can’t tell you because I truly don’t know. Were young and in high school, we have no clue as to what is out there waiting for us.

We are older now and get to decide on our own. I remember being just a kid and having my parents choose a lot of the things for me. Did any of us ever listen when our moms and dads said “ Your going to remember this later or thank me later.” I’m sure that many of us can say we were too young to care or be serious. And now there is that thought of confusion on almost everything.

Needless to say we had it easy young. Come to find out that the things we thought would be simple are now unbelievably difficult. There are so many things we have to do on our own now and we have to do it out there in the real world. We can’t just dream and believe anymore, that’s all gone and past. It’s pick, choose, and stick or move on. Deciding on the right lifestyle and environment. You will have to think long and hard.

I believe being young is a remarkable experience and only if you remember everything you’ve learned and even what your goals were then it will help you in the long run. The decisions you’ve made when you were just a kid reflect on you today. If you believe in yourself and what you do, you’ll accomplish many things.