Benjamin - Iola, Wisconsin

I believe that I am always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some people would call it bad luck, others would call it bad timing, but for me it’s a daily occurrence. Whether I’m just sitting in my desk or raising my hand, I always seem to be the one who gets blamed for everything.

The accusations start the moment I lay a foot on the bus. First, I am accused of poking holes in the luxurious, red, leather seats. Later I am questioned about making faces at little kids. This isn’t what you would consider a good start, but it gets even worse.

When I step through the doors of the school and pass the bathrooms, closing in on the principle’s office, Mrs. Anderson, our school’s principle, stops me. She asks me questions about my lunch table, where one of my friends left their tray the day before. I answer them politely and quickly walk away, knowing she thinks it was me.

As I enter my first, second, third, fourth, and fifth hour classes, I always seem to be the center of attention. I like to have a good time with my teachers, so when they need to use someone for example I’m always the one they use, because they know that I will not be offended. That’s fine with me, but there is a downside to it. If the whole class is talking I seem to be the only person the teacher hears, and quickly get scolded. It just doesn’t seem fair.

My sixth, and seventh hour classes aren’t that bad and I usually don’t get in trouble in them. But eighth hour, on the other hand, is a nightmare. My teacher, Ms. Bonnell, whom I greatly respect, always seems to find something to reprimand me for.

If a water bottle gets tipped over near me, I’m the one who gets blamed, and has to clean up the mess. If someone sitting behind me laughs, I am the one who is heard. When I am distracted by a classmate, I am the one who is asked to stop talking.

All these things happen to me on a daily basis and it leaves me terribly confused. Teachers should give students, like me, a break once in a while and try to understand what it is like to be the one who is always blamed for everything. Although I may need to see things from teachers’ points of view from time to time. They may find it difficult to constantly deal with a guy like me. This I believe.