Rachel - la vista, Nebraska

Being a teenager in today’s society, I am told that my friends and my classmates are supposed to be the closest people to me. But in my case, I believe that my family is the most important thing in my life, right after God. My family is main motivator and the driving force in my life. Desmond Tutu once said “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” For me, this quote pretty much sums up my feelings for my family.

My family is my link to past and the open door to my future. I can ask my grandparents anything about their past, and because history repeats itself, I can look forward to my future. My family has been there since the day I was born. I didn’t ask them to love me unconditionally, they just took me for what I was and have loved me ever since. My family is a direct reflection of who I am today. Everything I do in my life, both at home and out of the home, I do because that’s how I was taught early in life. When I was growing up I learned the basics of life and I apply them to my life to this day. I learned to share, love, be happy with what I have, be humble and honest, and you will see me use these tactics in my everyday life.

Don’t get me wrong, I love friends, but my family is what keeps me sensible. Amidst all the craziness in my house with all the activities we are a part of; somehow I find it rational and normal for me. It’s when my household isn’t busting with commotion that I start to worry. My friends are like a part time thing for me, but my family is full time and I can never escape it, it’s a beautiful thing for me. To know that my family will always be there to ask for help, or to just be there to talk to, is so humbling.

Some people take this for advantage, but I am grateful for every single gift I have been given by my family. Whether it is money, or an actual gift, they can not replace the gift of love. If someday I am dirt poor, I will be a rich person because I will have the love of my family.