Dan - Papillion, Nebraska
Themes: parenthood

Dan Johnston

9-25-06

AP Lit/Comp

This I Believe Essay

I believe that my parents are the greatest human beings on the face of this earth. Throughout life, not only have they pushed me towards becoming the best student and athlete possible, but most importantly, the best person possible. They have taught me many things that I use on a daily basis. My dad had a major impact on the sports I played/play, and the way I play those sports. He has been the single most influential person in my athletic career.

I believe that simple, yet catchy quotes or phrases can greatly impact the way a person thinks and acts. I remember hearing a slogan, from my dad, when I was in elementary school. It consisted of the letters, MTXE. After a sudden pause, he said, “mental toughness, extra effort. I know extra isn’t spelled with an X, but it has a better ring to it.” I believe that “MTXE” sums up everything you need to be successful in athletics and academics. I’ve written these four letters on my baseball glove and basketball shoes. It’s a great saying that has had a huge impact on the way I play sports and also the way I live life.

I believe that hard work, determination, and passion will prepare you for succeeding in academics, athletics, and life. Hard work is the first step you need in becoming successful. If you’re not willing to put in the time and effort, then your goals will become very tough, almost impossible to achieve.

I believe that determination can also lead you to a successful path. In order to become better at something then being determined is an important part in reaching your goal. My parents have been determined to work hard so they could support my brother and me while we were growing up. They wanted us to have a comfortable life with little worries. I believe that having great passion in/toward something is one of the most important things you can have. Passion allows you to push through during tough times, and it also helps you concentrate on the “prize.”

I believe that listening to your parents advice can help, even though at times it can be hard, they know what’s best for you, and always will.