Laura - Dallas, Texas

Children Need Parent Involvement in Education

I believe that daily involvement in a child’s education is crucial. A few years ago I worked in a pre- kindergarten school with four- year-olds. My job was rewarding in every way. I had a wonderful child in my class, and his name was James. James had difficulties adjusting to the school situation; his parents were also experiencing problems with him at home. When James’ parents were away he was moody and sad. James’ mom was so frustrated because of his attitude that she decided to have a meeting with the staff members. Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth told the teachers that their son needed constant supervision, and they wanted the staff to be firmer with James.

Every day since that meeting I went the extra distance to help James with his difficulties. At times, he struggled with parent-child separation. I wanted to offer him love, but there were limits to what I could do. I encouraged James’ parents to assist me with some new ideas. We allowed James to bring in special pictures of him sharing special moments with his mom and dad. We read some of his favorite stories daily, and I made his environment comfortable for him. Each day was special, and James began to settle in well; he has made great progress with his classmates. Every month when Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth schedule was flexible I invited them to bring a book to read to James’ classmates and share some of their travel experiences with the class. This experience helped James develop a sense of self. I reminded his parents’ not to furnish James with toys and trinkets when they were not around, but to sit with him and ask about his day, and his friends at school. James was always so excited when his parents were around. Every month got a little bit easier for James. He was excited about coming to school and, he now participates in daily class activities. Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth understood that they were going to have to take an active role in James’ education.

In January of that new year, James moved on to his new kindergarten class with the other boys and girls. I would peek in on James every now and then just to see how he was doing. It made me so proud to see that he was doing well; and settling down in his new class. I ran into James’ parents occasionally and they were always so grateful for the help and guidance from the staff. I reminded them that the doors were always open for questions and concerns.