Calli - Radford, Virginia
Themes: love

I Believe in Love

Have you ever felt it? That feeling where your insides turn to jelly? It makes you sing all the time, smile to everyone and laugh for no reason at all. It’s the can’t eat, can’t sleep, over the head, world series kinda thing. It’s where you’ve met your bets friend, the person who makes household chores a lasting memory. It’s being happy all the time just because. So, have you felt it? It’s love.

I believe in love. Ever since I can remember I’ve always known love. We’ve always said ‘I love you’ whether it was at a holiday gathering or a birthday party or just a cookout. My parents never let my two siblings and me go a day without hearing the words I love you, nor was there a day when I didn’t hear my parents say I love you to each other. My parents’ love for one another never falters. They are always there for each other at any time. My parents have always supported and encouraged each other every step of the way. Their actions towards one another makes me believe in true love.

My parents met in high school and married young. My dad was 19 and my mom was 20. My parents started out with few possessions such as money and furniture. When they were first married they had $20 for groceries a week. My parents had each of their kids three years apart from each other. Each one of us equally brought new obstacles for them to face.

My parents didn’t always get along. They would fight about anything and everything. There were times my dad would get so mad at mom that he ended up throwing plates off of our kitchen porch. My mom got so mad at him one time that she broke his finger. Their fights would get so bad sometimes that my dad would sleep on the couch. My dad is very stubborn and he doesn’t like to read directions which would lead to him doing it wrong and her getting mad. My mom is very short tempered so she can get mad at him quickly. But their arguments never let them lose sight of each other and their relationship. When they said their vowels, they meant them. My parents are like one. They share their money, possessions, dreams and lives with one another and I believe that’s how love should be.

My parents have been married for a strong 25 years now and each year their love continues to grow for one another. They are always there for each other, through thick and thin, bad and worse. They’ve grown from the $20 a week, small, no possessions apartment to the three level house on six acres with lots of worldly possessions. Their love shows me love exists. Because of my wonderful, loving parents, I believe in love.