Genevieve - Moraga, California

I believe in magic. I think that genuine magical events occur every day. Even life itself, including our ability to inhabit the earth, is magical. Although amazing, magical occurrences happen to everyone, we tend to deny the magic because believing sometimes does not come readily. So, because of our skeptical nature, we often dismiss magic as impossible, and something for only small children to believe. We are embarrassed to admit that we trust in something that is regarded by many as improbable. However, I believe that magic exists. Maybe this story will explain my belief.

I have seen a leprechaun. It was a rainy St. Patrick’s Day many years ago and I was looking for four-leaf clovers. After hours of looking, I finally found one. Suddenly it stopped raining, and the sun came out. And, as you would expect, there was a rainbow. I determinedly walked to the end of it. It took several hours, but finally I made it to the end. It was so amazing! There was a pot of what I thought was gold, but when I looked in, there was a leprechaun inside! I was somewhat surprised, but not too shocked because I’ve seen occasions of magic before. I’ve seen Santa Claus surfing in Santa Cruz, and the Easter Bunny has hidden many eggs in my backyard over the years. Anyway, the leprechaun jumped out of the pot. He was short and squat and dressed completely in green, just like how we picture leprechauns.

“You found me!” he said.

“Yes,” I said. “How many people have been here before?”

“You’re the first one!” he said.

Now I was shocked. It took effort to find the end of the rainbow, but it wasn’t that hard. “Are you sure?” I asked.

“Yes, because sadly, nobody believes in magic anymore,” said the leprechaun.

“Why not?” I asked.

“They think it’s impossible, or they are just not willing to believe,” he said.

I thought of all the people I had known over the years: family, friends, and many other acquaintances. The leprechaun was right. Most people I knew refused to believe in magic. These people thought that life was just a boring, routine process with no magical qualities whatsoever. These people often claimed that almost everything was impossible to achieve. They said dreams were unrealistic and hopes were impractical. I did not want to turn into one of these people. “Anything’s possible,” I concluded.

The leprechaun agreed with me. As a reward, he gave me some of his magic. Now I always have magic with me, in my heart. Magic resides in the hearts of those who believe.

In this account, I may have stretched the truth, but why not? Sometimes the truth is meant to be stretched, boundaries are meant to be crossed, miracles are meant to happen, and leprechauns are meant to live at the end of rainbows. This I believe.