Cheryl - Eldora, New Jersey

The Power of Family

I believe in the power of family. Each day I thank God above for blessing me enough to bring me into the family he did. My extended family is more to me than aunts, uncles, and cousins. They are my support, my backbone, my lifeline. Some are my best friends. Still others are my heroes and role models. Without the love of my extended family, my life would not be what it is today.

The family to which I refer is my Dad’s family. I am blessed with a proud PopPop and a MomMom any grandchild would wish for. They had six children, including my Dad, all of which had two or three children. Including the spouses and great grandchildren, all together we number forty, and we continue to grow.

Though many of us live within thirty miles of each other, we are spread over the United States. Since we are all slightly bull headed, we tend to bicker over the most trivial of things. Yet, miraculously, we remain a family and keep in touch no matter where our lives may lead us.

Our uniqueness shines through our closeness. My life would seem out of place if I could not see my family on a regular basis. Many of us attend the same church, and as children, many of us lived in the same small town. Three of my cousins are like sisters to me, because our lives were so close growing up. There are birthday parties and graduations and all sorts of other gatherings. Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve are essential traditions deeply engraved on my heart. Without these special days, my mind would be short a few hundred memories at least.

The power of family can keep you on the right track in life. My family makes me want to be the best that I can be, so that I can follow the example they have shown, and set my own example for those watching me.

We are a family whose focus is Jesus Christ. We pray for each other, which lets us feel each others hurt, and we rejoice in each other’s happiness. Without the example of my MomMom, my family would be completely different. Thankfully, she instilled in her children a love for God and others, which they then passed on to their children, and we will pass on to our children. It is a tradition of love and togetherness.

I cannot imagine my life without my large family. My life is what it is today because I essentially have extra mothers and fathers, adopted sisters and brothers. Yet, a family does not need to be large to be powerful. The power of family comes from the love that its members share with each other. Never take for granted the people in your life. Take care of your family and love them while you are able. Individual people cannot live forever, but memories and traditions can. Without memories and traditions, I do not know where I would be today. I believe in the power of family.