Pauline - Nebraska

This is I Believe

As is I swing on a yellow crayola colored swing, on rickety red jungle gym I

realize how much fun it was to be a kid. I also realize that the time has passed so long ago

because I can not fit my bottom into s swing that was clearly meant for a six year old. But

this epiphany was due to my persistent nearly three year old niece. She kept asking me in

an ear piercing voice “Peeeeeene pus me on da swing”, so who couldn’t resist that bad

grammar! So I snuggled into the little swing and sat my niece, Darcy, on my lap and she

held the chains on both sides. We started to gain some air when she started to lean her

head back on me as if she were lying down, so I did the same. It was an invigorating

feeling having the air go through my hair and floating with my niece.

This led me to my epiphany: I believe so dearly, family is the most important part of my

life and family is thicker than blood.

My family dynamic is special, not ordinary in any way , but different. My sisters

and brothers are actually my half sisters and brothers. The reason being they have a

different father than I do, thank God. My sisters, Shannon and Rachel and my bother Mat

grew up with me and had as much part in my raising as my mother. So that is why I never

acknowledge them as half. My sisters Shannon and Rachel are twins and they are 29 and

married, causing me to have a niece and nephew. My brother Mat is 27, we never really

got along until now. Due to the commonality that we both are obsessed with Coldplay,

but when I was younger he just picked on me severely. That’s all I have to say about that.

But despite the years of torture I get along with my siblings and I love them regardless.

This I believe so dearly and truly to my heart: a sister is a sister; a brother is a

brother no matter what. Whether adopted, step, or half a bother a sister a sibling is a

sibling. Irregardless of what my family dynamic may be or the fact that we all have

different blood types, my family is my family and that is what matters.