Michelle - Woodridge, Illinois

The Need to feel Pretty

The constant roar of hairdryers, the pungent smell of perm solution, surrounding mirror after mirror, chair after chair of women gossiping, laughing, or just relaxing while sinking into the latest issue of: Cosmopolitan. Here women are transformed; not only on the outside, but on the inside as well. With a snip of the scissors, they lose all their insecurities. I believe that every so often a woman needs to feel pretty.

Whether it is a second grader getting her hair curled for her first holy communion, an eighteen year old getting an up-do for her senior prom, a mother of four who can’t remember when she was given the time to style her own hair, or an older woman who comes in every Saturday to have her hair shampooed and styled. I believe that just one hour in the hair salon can leave a woman feeling gorgeous and rejuvenated. Although women claim not to care about how other people see them, they do care about how they see themselves!

Having grown up in my parents’ hair salon, I have always been a sucker for having my hair styled and getting my nails done. I never quite understood how one hour of being pampered can make me feel like a completely different person. It wasn’t until I started working at the salon that I realized I was not the only woman who loved this feeling. A lot of men, and even many women would say that this high-maintenance. I say it’s self-maintenance. We need this; not just because brunette is the new blonde, but because of how it makes us feel about ourselves. We feel that with this new hair style, we are given a fresh start, and how often do we get that? This fresh start rarely lasts that long; it usually ends when people stop asking, “Is that a new hair do?” Other times it only last until the first nail chips, but sometimes that is all that is necessary for us to recognize our own beauty.

I believe that it is important for a woman to see her own loveliness today more than ever. Women are battling the constant pressures of looking “flawless” in our society. We are relentlessly comparing ourselves to others. It is the negative aspects of our appearance that we magnify, and our positive attributes that we fail to notice until they are complimented on by others. An occasional trip to the hair salon reminds all women that they have this beauty. I believe that despite her age, status, or hair color at the end of the day each woman leaves the hair salon feeling just as enticing as the woman in the chair next to her. All that it takes is a pair of scissors and a splash of nail polish for her to realize it.