Patrick - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: Christianity

I believe in Santa Claus, not just the fourth century Bishop of Myra, but the traditions associated with him and the birth of Christ. Traditions and ceremonies like those associated with Christmas are very important parts of who we are. Whether lighting the Menorah to commemorate the rededication of the Holy Temple of Jerusalem in 165 BCE, fasting to commemorate the Great Prophet and his victory over the Quraish nobility during Ramadan, observing the seven principles of Kwanzaa, or decorating a tree with gifts to commemorate the gifts given to Jesus Christ at his birth, it is very important to keep these traditions alive and pass them on to our children. One should be proud of the traditions that he/she holds dear and never feel the need to apologize for them.

I do believe in Santa Claus, but more importantly I believe in the traditions that keep children hanging up stockings and staying up as late as possible trying to catch a glimpse of a portly gentleman in red, hunting for colored eggs, or wandering around neighborhoods in disguise begging for candy. It just doesn’t get any better than that.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!