Michelle - Columbus, Nebraska

I believe in family. I believe that a family is the one thing that a person can rely on in times of need. I believe that if a person does not have a strong bond with their family then they are not at fault. It is certain people in the family that causes them to not be close. The cause for this may be from not having a family when they were growing up or from not seeing how much a family really means to them.

I believe that growing up in a home where you were raised to eat with your family every night is a gift. With me being a freshman in college 100 miles away from home and family, I see that eating with my family has left an imprint in my memory. Every time I go home, I hope for a dinner where the five of us can sit and enjoy our meal together like we used to do. My family gradually stopped eating together when my sister and I went into high school. At this time in our lives we had various school and extra curricular activities going on that didn’t give us a lot of time to eat together. Part was from Dad always working after six while the rest of us were home by five. By the time the family was able to get together it was usually around seven or sometimes later. There was always something going on that interfered with our supper time. So now, I cling to these memories when we were all together eating and hope to find that they will come back soon.

I believe that I want to raise a family who eats together every night. I understand that it will not always be possible, but I want to at least make an effort to make it tradition in my family. Jobs will interfere along with the kids’ activities. But until the kids are old enough to be involved in after school activities, I will teach them and show them what my life was like before various activities separated our meals together as a family.

My family is not seperated now and I do not believe that we ever will be. I am very close to my family, perhaps closer now than before I moved out. The moments that we share now are ones that will always stay in my memory forever. Having things like eating together at meals and coming home to share time with each other is what a family means to me. So this I believe is the reason that families exist. To become lifelong friends, companions, and a source of memories that build traditions in a fast paced world.