Johnna - Iola, Wisconsin

Minutes, Hours, Life

“Time hasn’t stopped for any troubles, heartaches, or any other malfunctions of this world, so please don’t tell me it will stop for you.” – C.S. Lewis

In the big scheme of life, time goes by amazingly fast. Who you are, where you’re from or what your story is doesn’t matter. Time is the same for everyone. It doesn’t slow down or speed up. It is a constant that no one has control of, although at times we wish we could.

During my short 15 years of life, I have had awesome days that I wished would never end, and other days that couldn’t end soon enough. I realized early on in my life that the world does not revolve around me. If I lost my teddy bear, time wasn’t going to slow down so that I could find him before nighttime came. The world kept spinning and lives outside of my own went on normally. It’s hard to think that the world goes on. No matter what, we have no control of how much time we get to spend in it.

All throughout middle school and during my first years of high school, I had a best friend; a person who believed in me, who didn’t judge me, and who I could be myself with. We were inseparable; wherever she was, I was right there with her. The two of us were like sisters, until one day. We had a disagreement and on that horrible day that couldn’t end soon enough, I lost my best friend.

I thought my life wouldn’t go on. What was I going to do? We had so much of our lives planned out together. I needed her, but she wanted nothing to do with me. My heart couldn’t understand it. I thought and wished that the world would end, but as my feet walked through our high school hallways, I realized that everyone else’s lives were still going on normally as if nothing happened.

I felt as if no one was concerned about my feelings or what was happening in my life. I soon realized that it wasn’t their fault. The minutes and hours continued to tick; lives continued to move on and I needed to move on as well. Whether I liked it or not, life was still moving on.

We have only a short amount of time here in this world, and dwelling on the past, something you can never change, is pointless. Move on to the next minute in your day because you might not have tomorrow. And whether you’re having a good day, a bad day, or an okay day, time isn’t going to stop. So look ahead, because life goes on. This I believe.