Chelsea - Iola, Wisconsin

I believe that we should support our troops. I see anti-war, anti-soldier banners and stickers almost everyday. Sometimes they really upset me because many members of my family are in the army and have served in Iraq. I also hear people argue everyday about why we are over in Iraq, and whether it is right that we are over there. People just need to accept the fact is that we are over there. Your relatives and mine are over in Iraq fighting for us.

One day I was riding in our car; I think we were going to Appleton. I saw a bumper sticker on the back of the car in front of us. I don’t remember exactly what it said, but I could tell from it that they didn’t support the war in Iraq. I don’t necessarily like the war, but there are people like my cousins over seas fighting in it. It offended me because it felt like they weren’t supporting my family.

You may not support the war, but you can support the soldiers defending our country. They are someone’s mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter, wife or husband. You also may not agree with the president or some of his policies, but the soldiers deserve our respect and support. They risk their lives everyday for our safety.

These men and women put their lives and safety on the line for us each and everyday and it frustrates me that people don’t realize and appreciate that. It’s their job to protect us. First we should focus on the safety of the soldiers, and the politics of the war second.

Some soldiers are Democrats, some are Republicans, but they are all there for one reason to defend our country. Wouldn’t you want the support from your country if you were overseas fighting for them? If soldiers don’t think they have the support of our country they may not perform with their full potential and that might get them or someone else either hurt or killed.

Everyday I think about friends and family that have served in Iraq. How there are men and women like them that risk their lives to protect me, my family, my friends, and our freedom. That deserves a ton of respect, even if you don’t agree with why we are over in Iraq.

We should put aside our differences and support the men and women defending our country. They may not be your family, but they are someone’s. How would you feel if it was your family in Iraq? I think you would want them to be safe, and for them to have the nation’s respect. Support our troops; this I believe.