Dannielle - Concord, Arkansas
Themes: work

What are you smiling about?

I believe that being positive may not solve every problem in the world but it may annoy enough people along the way to make it worth while.

It was a rainy and muggy Monday morning. Kayla walked out of her house to her car. As she drove to work she thought of all the bad things that had already happened to her that day, including ruining her new shoes. On the other hand Jenny walked out of her house, and was very thankful of all the rain her town received the past night. Kayla and Jenny both worked for the same agency in their city, and both of their jobs consisted of filing paperwork and taking phone calls.

When Kayla arrived at work she was already in a bad mood. She started to file and take phone calls. The first few calls went all right, but then the clients started to be rude so she decided to be rude back. Jenny’s desk was right next to Kayla’s and she could hear everything. Jenny, just like Kayla, had to talk to rude people too, but she never got angry. She always kept a smile on her face and a positive attitude. With the biggest smile that she could conjure up, Jenny walked over to Kayla and asked her what was wrong. Kayla looked at her, disgusted, but never answered. The difference between the two is that Jenny realized that she could not change the weather, the fact that it was Monday, or that she had to work. She just tried to make the best of it and in the process she annoyed Kayla, which brought another smile to her face.

I try to think of myself as an optimistic person. I know that life is not fair, but if I keep a positive attitude then something rewarding may be waiting for me in the end. For example; I played sports while in high school. In every sport there was always some type of running. I never complained about the running and this annoyed the other players very much. No matter how much we had to run, I kept my head up and gave 110 percent every time. The thing the girls failed to realize was that no matter how much they griped the coach was going to make us run regardless. It was hard at times to keep going but I felt that I may leave an impression on the other girls. At the end of every year, we had an awards banquet. Every year everyone knew that I was going to get the hustle award and that meant so much to me. In the end, optimism didn’t solve all my problems because I still had to run, but at least I enjoyed it more than the other girls, who were annoyed with my positive outlook and my cheerful attitude.