jasmine - Scotia, New York
Themes: setbacks

To believe in a second chance

My birthparents gave up there rights to me and gave me up for adoption.My life was forever changed into something far better than what i had.I got a second chance at living.The life i have now i feel that i am obligated to be thankful for because without that second chance i wouldnt be here.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance.Let’s face it, we all make mistakes;some not so big of a deal and others are hard to make up for , if you can.A second chance is given as an opportunity to make a change.I’m not talking about for instance ,if you fail your driver’s test,then you are given a second chance to retake it.To me that is not a second chance.If it was that easy to get a second chance, then everyone would get one.But the reality is that not everyone does get one.I believe that everyone deserves that one shot to make things better.Dont get me wrong,for most scenario’s you are not able to take back your wrongs,but you’re able to take that step in taking responsibility,realizing and admitting you did wrong and gaining the wisdom to move on.Yes, it’s hard to admit that you made a mistake but thats what makes it even more powerful and meaningful.

My birthparents were very young and sold drugs to make a living.Let’s just say they made enough to buy themselve more drugs.It was a never ending cycle.Because they didnt have a real job they couldnt provide me with the basic needs of a two month old baby.They tried twice to abandon me on their shared apartment without food or water for a week.It probably comes to no surprise that at two months old death was already looming over my head.Had i not been put up for adoption i probably wouldve died.

My second chance was my blessing my chance of having a normal life.My birthparents did the hardest thing any parent could do by giving me up.But they made a decision that saved my life.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance.After all i got mine.