Zach - Flowery Branch, Georgia

I truly believe friends are the backbone of one’s life. It is vital to choose your friends wisely, because they make up your overall personality. I choose all of my friends based on three characteristics: trust, accountability, and honesty.

Trust is the first thing I look for when choosing a friend. Trust is defined as a strong belief that some person is honest and can be depended on. I can have many so-called friends, but if the trust is not there, then I should not be considered your friend. If they are my true friends, then they should be comfortable enough to work for your trust. What is the purpose of having friends if you cannot trust them?

My second characteristic in choosing a friend is accountability. I need an accountability partner who can tell me when I am wrong, what I am doing wrong, and can watch out for me. I do not need a person who takes advantage of me, and who is always late. I like to be able to count on my friends to be there for me during bad times. Everyone needs people during critical times in their lives.

My last characteristic in choosing a friend is honesty. I truly believe honesty is the best policy. I dislike people who act like they are my friends and then go up to someone else and talk bad about me. I need a friend who is honest with me and who will stick up for me. If you are not honest, then I do not want to be your friend or even know you.

In conclusion, I pick my friends based on these characteristics. Trust, accountability, and honesty are really the main characteristics of choosing a friend. If my friends cannot live up to these expectations, then I will surround myself with those types of people. I always follow my h heart when it comes to choosing my friends, seeing how they will always be around, whether I like it or not.