Colby - Flowery Branch, Georgia

Family Comes First

The importance of family cannot be measured in dollars or cents. Family is not something that can be earned or bought. Instead, family is something that you either have or you don’t. Unfortunately, the increasing number of divorces in our society seems to be having a trickling effect that can be seen everywhere from our television to our homes. In my opinion, it is family that holds the fabric of our society together. It is our family that teaches us right from wrong. The significance of good family values seems to be absent in most of today’s youth. I believe that it is about time we as a nation get back to these strong family values by setting a strong and positive example to our children. I strongly believe that if we put your family first, your outside life will take care of itself.

Family is one of, if not the most important institution we have in our society today. It seems to me that the majority of the individuals who come from a broken down family are more susceptible to become just another negative statistic. You almost never see a prisoner on television talk about how his family was always there for him. Instead he or she talks about how they grew up in a single parent household and about how they would have given up almost anything to have a close relationship with both parents. It seems that I am one of the very few individuals I know whose parents are still together. There is never a day that goes by that I don’t wonder how I would have turned out if my parents had split up.

I have always been fortunate to be able to count on my parents for moral support. Whenever my brother or I got or get into trouble, my parents are always there to help us out. Even though they do punish us whenever they deem fit, I know they discipline us because they want to see their children succeed in life. I believe that because of my family’s support for one another the sky isn’t the limit. I feel as if there is not any thing that I cannot accomplish. As a young kid I was forced to move around a lot because of my fathers’ work. As some kids know, being the new kid at school can sometimes make you feel like the loneliest kid in the entire world. Though I sometimes felt very alone, I knew that my brother and sister were going through the same thing as I was. That brought me a little piece and comfort knowing that I was not the only one going through this. I knew even if I were alone at school, whenever I came home I would have the only friends I would ever need, my family.

Work too can sometimes interfere with one’s family. I believe that individuals who put their work in front of their families are doing a big mistake. Now I know that work is very important. Work helps to create the monetary resources needed in order to support a family. As I said earlier, my family moved around a lot because of my fathers’ jobs. However, we never moved anywhere unless my entire family approved. I still remember my father asking me if I would be all right with moving from Tennessee to Georgia. Though everything I thought I ever wanted was in Tennessee, I knew that my father and my family would not ask me to leave it all behind if they did not have my best interest in mind.

Family should always come first. In time, best friends will become distant memories. Jobs and work itself will most likely come and go. Even though one may feel that his or her work is sometimes a little more important than family, money can always be replaced. Lost memories of your family cannot.