Emily - Mesquite, Texas

I believe in a well-balanced meal. I need good green beans and sometimes a steak—always a dessert. When the sun is shining and beads of sweat are rolling down my face after an intense game of soccer, I need a turkey and mustard sandwich. When it’s my face is wind burned and my hair is frazzled from the wind, I’d kill for mom and daddy’s collaborative stew. Sometimes my dish just needs a little squirt of lemon to add some flavor; other times all that does is make my face twist at the bitterness. But I believe in cleaning one’s plate and liking every bite.

And I believe in meeting people for a reason. Whether I need a good dose of reassurance from a friend or just some solid reasoning from my mom, I always want a sweet taste to linger after a warm conversation. When life is hard I need simplicity to retreat into; and when it’s going smoothly, there’s no better feeling than curling up at home in the warm, well worn pride of my friends and family. An occasional jerk keeps me on my toes and makes me appreciate my friends’ kindness even more, but that will never make me look forward to his coming. Nonetheless, it takes all kinds to make the contents of a melting pot taste right, and I believe in savoring all men in every moment.