Kristin - Georgia

True Friendship

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. – Anonymous. Friendship is a very important factor. It shows that with that friend will come trust, honesty, and love. I believe that there is not one person in this world that does not have at least one true friend to rely on. In my life, I have had many friends come and go, but when I look back on all the things that happened, none of them were as true as the one that is still in my life today.

Growing up, I was a shy kid and as a result of that I didn’t have very many friends. I had two or three that I went to school with that I talked to every day but none that I would call close friends. I attended a church when I was around ten years old and that is where I met my best friend. Her name is Britteny Pizza and she was just as shy as I was. She was the same age as me, or a little bit younger, and attended school in the same area as I did. While going to the same church, we were in the same Sunday school class and would interact with one another every Sunday. Our families became very close very quickly. Britteny and I liked the same music, wore the same clothes, talked just alike, laughed at just about everything, and we even looked alike. Many people actually thought that we were sisters, but sadly we weren’t. Every night we talked on the phone about boys, how hard school was, and about how we couldn’t wait to grow up and live together while we were in college. As we grew older, we realized how blessed we were to have each other and the characteristics we each bestowed. It’s not every day you find a friend like us. She was proud of me, as I was of her.

The teenage years were difficult. Bad things were happening from trying to earn enough money with jobs to pay for things on our own, which didn’t work out very well, fighting with parents, getting grounded and having the privilege of hanging out taken away, boys breaking our hearts, and struggling to pass our classes in high school. But somehow or another, I got though it and so did Britteny. You have to have trust in someone to where you don’t have to struggle through the hard times alone. You have to be honest. Tell what mistakes are being made, so the consequences aren’t too rough. If someone really trusts you and is true to you, there will be no problem with listening and realizing that these things are only being said because they are cared about. After everything that has happened, it’s like a light bulb comes on and I know that I love my best friend. She is like a sister to me and I would do anything for her. I couldn’t have been blessed with a better friend than her.

True friendship is rare. Everyone has to be tough in order to make it in this world. Without one true friend, I believe no one would make it in this world. I have gotten to where I am today because of Britteny. She has helped me out in every single way possible and for that I am grateful.