mathew - Troy, Idaho

Have you ever traveled two hours just to run up and dawn a hill a hook logs all day long just to pay for the gas you used to get there? That’s work because it stresses your body to the limit. There are also different types of work than manual labor. Some people go to work and use their brain all day until their head feels like its going to explode. These types of jobs take commitment as well as hard work. I believe in hard work and commitment.

Hard work and commitment have done a lot for me in my life. It has given me the things I have like my possessions and has taught me how to respect other peoples’ possessions. When I work hard for something it means more to me than if someone hands it over to me. I have lived my life knowing if I want something I am going to have to work for it. It has taken me several years of buying and selling vehicles to finally get the car I have now. Each summer I saved a little more money and upgraded my cars until I could sell them. I have bought a nice home entertainment center for my room that’s nicer than the one in the living room. I didn’t just decide to get it over night I had to plan ahead and commit to putting money away so I could get it. When it comes dawn to hard work and commitment, I feel weight lifting has pushed me the most. It takes hard work you have to constantly tear dawn and rebuild your muscle. You also have to be committed because you have to do it almost every day for it to have the right effect on your body.

My dad once told me a long time ago if I ever wanted something he would help me get it but he wouldn’t buy it for me. At The time it made me mad because all of my friend’s fathers got them almost every thing that they wanted. It came to me a few years later that all the things that I saved up and bought were still in good condition and the things that my friends got from their fathers were destroyed or not good enough for them anymore. They didn’t respect their parents as much as they should and they expected to get everything that they want because that’s the way they were raised.

They didn’t care or not if their parents were spending all of their well earned money on little toys they would grow out of in a few months or less. Kids get too caught up in fads and making share that they have the latest gadgets.

Another thing that my dad once said to me and still tells me to this day is that your name means everything, and don’t screw it up. Your name is what represents you as a whole. When you do something good or bad it represents you through your name.

Hard work is not just pushing your mind and body to the limit. It means pushing yourself, striving for excellence having to work more than you usually would to accomplish something. A lot of people never really have to work hard for the things they have, so they may never fully appreciate them. I feel that I am a better person since my dad took the time to teach me what hard work and commitment was.