Anna - Orrville, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem, death

“The events my death wrought were merely the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life,” – Susie said in Sebold’s The Lovely Bones. In this book Alice Sebold tells a story about a girl 14 years old that was murdered telling her story from heaven. Who would’ve thought that a 14 year old would die such a terrible death? I believe in living life to the fullest, because time is very precious. Taking in as much memory as possible, because the time of life is unknown.

I have a friend. For a while we have a friendship where we wouldn’t talk that often or ever for that matter, because her mom fell ill with mesophelioma, so she became distant. We would go through times when we would talk and then not talk for two months. Well I decided I would say hello to her, to see how she and her mother were doing. We then began to talk again like usual and then 4 days later her mother died. That day before last I gave her mom flowers and told her that I loved her and gave her words of encouragement, because she was doing worse. I had to say hello to my friend and be there for her when her mother, whom I loved like my own, died.

What is so strange to me is that about a day before her death I was talking about her in my speech class, which this paper is for, and how she was getting worse, but she is still living by the grace of God. Then the next day, she died.

Time is definitely precious. If it weren’t for that day I talked to my friend I would have never been there for her or been able to show my support to her mother again before her death.

Life is a chaotic cycle that keeps the mind in a head spin until one day the ones that are important to us die. Live life, just live it well, full of memories.