Kori - Oakwood, Georgia

Staying True to Myself

The road of life is filled with obstacles that must be faced head on. When faced with these bumps along the road of life, I believe in staying true to myself and what I stand for. I will be the first to admit that it is sometimes hard to keep up with this crazy, mixed-up world without sacrificing my personal beliefs. Especially as a young person, it is hard to stand strong to my beliefs and just say “no.” Sometimes it seems like I am constantly surrounded by people or situations that go against what I believe in.

I oftentimes find myself in situations where my morals and my will power are tested. I remember one time in particular in high school when I was at a party with many of my friends, and everyone was drinking and having a good time, and I was the designated driver that night. Throughout the night, I was encouraged many times to have “just one drink,” and I felt extremely pressured to do so. Nonetheless, I knew I had to stay strong and stand up for what I knew was right, and I did just that. This is only one of many situations where I have found myself battling over whether to just do the cool thing or to stay true to my beliefs.

However, I am not saying that I am perfect. I have given in to the temptations and gone against my personal values. The only problem is I cannot seem to think of a time

when I did give in that I didn’t either feel guilty or get caught doing the things that I knew were not, for me, morally appropriate. One time, I had a friend who had just recently moved into her own apartment, and I was allowed to go over and hang out, but I was not allowed to stay the night because her parents did not live there. A few of my

friends and I decided we would spend the night anyway and lie to our parents about whose house we were at. We had a lot of fun, but when morning came and I wanted to leave, my car would not start. I had to call my mom and tell her what happened. Let’s just say that I was caught red-handed. It took a while for my parents to trust me again, and I had to work hard to regain their trust.

Now, I am thankful for that experience because it taught me that when I know that I should not do something, I shouldn’t do it. It’s that simple. I am now able to look back and remember the guilt that I felt and the consequences that I suffered from that experience, and I can make the right decision because I learned firsthand what happens when I make decisions that I know are not in my best favor. I know now that when I am faced with temptations that go against what I believe in, I should stick to my morals and stay true to myself and what I know is the right choice for me.