Kali - Iola, Wisconsin

Friends Forever?

“Boys come and go but friends are forever.” Have you ever actually thought about that phrase? Living a complex life, trying to juggle friendships and relationships isn’t something people can do everyday. Everyone has been in a situation thinking that they could trust someone but actually they could not. I have learned a lesson about friendships in high school. Don’t believe everything you hear and don’t always trust the ones you think you can.

I grew up with several friends in a very small school. Being a typical girl the routine is best friends one day, enemies the next.

I am fifteen years old now and my friends were not the same as they were when I was in elementary school or even middle school. Some I keep in touch with and some I cringe when I make eye contact. Every human being has possibly grown up with that one friend that they’re forever friends with. I have had a friend for about five years now. We have gotten in only one argument.

We spent every single day of our summer together. I put all my other friends aside and made the decision that she was the one and only person I could trust, I did not care about my life-long friends anymore, I had her. We spent our Sunday and Wednesday nights going to teen dances in Waupaca and Manawa. I would get phone calls from other friends, but again I did not care.

School started in the fall and I had cross-country practice and meets, and she had volleyball practice and games. Rumors started to go through the high school, like they do every year. The rumors this time were about me! I had my best friend to back me up! Actually, not really, I later learned that she was not sticking up for me let alone telling other people the rumor also. I realized she wasn’t a true friend when the most important day in my life came. I had qualified for the state cross-country meet. Just about everyone showed up. My best friend was not there! I was hurt, terribly hurt. I felt like I had been betrayed.

After that Saturday of state cross-country I had so much to think about. Things weren’t the same between us. I didn’t know whether I should pretend everything was fine even though it wasn’t. I decided to just move on with my life. I have had problems trusting people in general since then. I realized that you might never actually know who your true friends are. I regret ditching all my other friends. I still am living by this phrase even though I haven’t found someone that I can trust this much,

“Boys come and go but friends are forever.” This I believe…