Alicia - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: immigrant

Imagination Evil!

What is imagination? It’s the way people perceive things, like an alternate reality which helps many people escape the many problems of the world. It helps make people have their wildest fantasies become real. Imagination is known to be a friend and can help us through the bad times and the sad times. I believe the imagination can be evil, cruel, and mean to you.

How can it be evil? It can turn your fears loose inside your mind, to run amuck and cause you great emotional pain. Imagination can turn us emotionally against ourselves. Trust me, I’ve had my experience. It was sometime in the middle of October, I was sitting in my room. I had the lights turned off and I was lying in my bed. I had been talking on the phone for a while and was feeling really sad. I was feeling sad because I couldn’t stop thinking of bad thoughts. Lets just say they were not very good-feeling thoughts; they were self-destructive ones. Anyway I had been talking on the phone and I decided to put my squishy pillow over my head. For some reason or another, I all of a sudden had an eerie feeling. I whispered into the phone, “I’m scared!” I had this feeling; no not a feeling I could somehow see something was standing over my bed. The thing was tall and had a very dark, black, deathly cloak on. The hood on the cloak hung over its face. When I thought about it, I realized that I was seeing the Grim Reaper. I could see him clearly in my mind and he was right next to my bed. I could just imagine him bringing up his long, slender, sharp scythe with his bony, white hands, and beheading me with one swipe of emotionless pain. My neck felt tight like he had been chopping at it over and over and over again. Finally, I convinced myself to take my squishy pillow off my head. When I did I look around and all I saw was…nothing, absolutely nothing. The room was empty; it was just me, the phone, and complete darkness that filled the room.

From then on it’s like a reoccurring nightmare that I see in my head, replaying itself over and over again. I can see the ghastly image of him and my neck tightening all over again. All I can say is imagination might be good at times like reading a book and visualizing it. But it’s something that can crush you easily if you’re not too careful with it. It can be something that can easily let your fears escape to reality. The imagination can be a curse but also your very own happy place. Its unpredictable. And maniacal. This I believe.