James - Athens, Georgia

In Music I Believe

Ever since I can remember I have been big into music. Always carrying a tune like it is stuck in my back pocket. I’m always coming up with rhythms and melodies in my head that I can never seem to get out. It’s anything but a bad thing because music is what keeps me going everyday. I can’t help it that my life pretty much revolves around music, its just what helps me to get through the ups and downs that I face in my life.

When I am in a bad mood or just upset with something or someone music is the main thing that keeps me from doing something stupid. For example when I get in an argument with a friend and I don’t feel too good about the outcome, I will go and listen to music until I calm down. Sometimes the genre of music that I listen determines the type of mood that I am in to begin with. Let’s just say that if I am listening to music that is upbeat and fast, then I am full of energy. If I am listening to something that is smooth and upbeat, then I am in a chill-relaxing mood. Music is a great way to help and change my mood, no matter what.

Since I was about thirteen years old I have written songs about different things in my life. It is my own way of dealing with my emotions that I face everyday. I always used to walk around with four or five different pieces of paper in my pocket with different ideas that I have for songs. I did that for years, but I finally got tired of carrying numerous pieces of paper in my pocket, so I carry a notebook with me everywhere I go now. I write songs about things that I have and things that I miss in my life. It seems to be the only way for me to get things off my chest that I don’t really want to talk to someone else about. When I am having problem with something or someone and I’m really stressed out, one of the only things that help me through it is to just sit alone in a room and write down what is on my mind or whatever comes to my mind. Most of the time it turns out to be something that is pretty good. Writing music and songs has and always will help me with my emotions.

Around the same time that I started writing songs and such, I have had the dream of being in a band and running my own record label. When I was still in high school, I was a lead singer in one band and just did vocals in another one. Being in a band is like nothing else that I have experienced in my life. I can’t think of any words to describe the feeling that you get being in a band. It is just the ultimate rush and it makes me feel like a better person. It has given me the confidence to do things now and in my future that I probably wouldn’t have the guts to do otherwise. Things like interviews, and talking to girls; now I have the confidence to face things like that everyday.

Music is one of the most important things to me in my life. Its what helps me to get through days, good or bad. It has also helped me realize what it is that I really want to do with my life. Music is now a part of me that can never be taken away. It is in music that I believe.