judi - Chevy Chase, Maryland
Themes: carpe diem

This, I Believe

I believe in puttering, in moving scraps of paper till a collage emerges – or not, in doodling with Gelly Roll pens till my hands get tired. I believe in decorating cheap envelopes and making batches of postcards and bookmarks I may never use or send, in sorting beads for the sheer pleasure of touching the shapes and seeing the colors. After hearing someone described as “a habitual re-arranger” I embraced the label as my own. My invented patron saint is Our Lady of the Short Attention Span who blesses me with the gift of time to spend in judgment-free play. I follow in my father’s footsteps by tearing colorful stamps off of envelopes and keeping them in a box. I believe that the seeds of puttering give birth to creativity that sometimes bear fruits, but often doesn’t; that puttering is simultaneously relaxing and stimulating, something best done solo or in the company of a child under thirteen. I believe that if more people gave themselves permission to putter there would be more well-balanced people and fewer fat ones, because puttering occupies both hands. This I believe.