Scott - Papillion, Nebraska

I believe in family. From the time that I was old enough to know what it meant, I have been told that my family would always be there for me. They said that while my friends may change or fade away, my family would always be the same and would always be there for me. Along with them always being there for me, I would always have to be there for them. Through my experiences, I’ve come to understand how much this can really mean.

Anytime that I have had problems with anything in my life: from friends to school to girls, my family has always been there to support me one hundred percent. I never knew this until the time that I was a freshman. Before I became a high school student, I always had tried to do everything on my own. I never realized the value of talking to my parents. I always thought they were just too old and not “cool” enough to understand the complex problems of a junior high student.

When the time came to leave the small Catholic school I had gone to for ten years and make the transition to a new public school with very few friends, I had no idea how difficult it would actually be. I tried to take on the problem alone, head-on, like everything else I had tried to do. When I had trouble finding a group of friends to hang out with, my family was there. When I was sad because I didn’t make the basketball team, my family was there. Were it not for them, I may have given up trying to make friends; I may have given up basketball. But instead, with their support, I was able to make friends and make the basketball team my sophomore year. My parents talked me through anything when I thought I wasn’t good enough, and helped me get the confidence I needed to be successful in life.

Because of these experiences, I have learned the importance of being there for my younger brother and sister. I want to help them get through any problems they have in their life and be the best older brother I can be. I have learned that this is not as easy as saying good luck at softball or your science test. It means going to the game and supporting them win or lose. It means helping them study or work through the stress of high school. I believe in my family because of all they have helped me achieve. I believe in them because I know they will always be there for me, no matter how successful or unsuccessful I may become. I believe in family.