David - murfreesboro, Tennessee

I believe in pushing myself to the limits. Personally, I would rather fail than take the easy way out. In high school I never felt challenged or pushed to do anything more than what was required. I was always told what I was and wasn’t going to be learning, and I really didn’t like that. School has always kept a set curriculum of what has to be known, and there is little or no emphasis on anything else. I have been in too many classes where the teacher has said we will skip the next chapter, because it’s not that important, or we don’t have enough time to cover that material. This was okay in high school, but college is a different story.

My education is no longer free! Meaning what I pay for is what I get. I chose MTSU, because I believe it is the right school for me. I am here for more than just a degree. I am here to educate myself not only in my declared major, but in everything I feel that I should know about the world I live in. MTSU has the second largest library in Tennessee, and I refuse to take it for granted. The wealth of information at my disposal is unbelievable.

So far my classes have consisted of a lecture followed by go and learn it on your own. In doing so, I have found myself reading off topic and sometimes in a completely different subject. I have a 4.0 GPA, and I don’t feel that I have earned it. Yes I have worked hard, but I don’t feel that I have gotten my money’s worth. To really grasp a

subject and thoroughly know something you have to discuss it, simply reading and spitting back information is not what I consider learning. Developing your own ideas and coming to your own conclusions as to how and why things work is education. I could only imagine going to school with someone like Leonardo Da Vinci, or Albert Einstein. I am almost positive that making an A plus in quantum physics would not have been enough for Einstein; therefore I don’t consider that enough for me either. I believe that the entire subject should be covered, plus the infamous “what if.” I believe that classes should bring up question, followed by an intellectual debate, and everyone leaving and believing in what they have just been exposed to.

Simply achieving what is required of me is no longer acceptable. Pushing my own personal limits to the extreme and going that extra two miles instead of one is what I am willing to do. A degree is great, but for me, not enough. A continuous pursuit for knowledge by pushing my mind to its limit, this I believe.