Drew - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe in seeing good in others even when it’s hard: I believe that we all owe that to each other. With that being said George W. Bush is someone that I owe a great deal of thanks to, a President whose vision has provided a great joy in my life. Is it that I am in total agreement with him in regards to today’s biggest political issues? Not really. To be honest with you there aren’t many political motives or agendas behind my reasoning if any.

Sure the economy is struggling, my commission rate at work hasn’t gone up in four years, and I’m getting eaten alive by taxes. It’s no big deal; I make enough to pay my bills and make gas executives richer by pouring the remainder of my paycheck into their overpriced product, it’s the least I can do. But you know what? None of that matters to me, there are more things to dwell on in life than money, more things I can give positive attention to. I know the negatives seem to overwhelm us sometimes but look how good we have it.

I get to live everyday of my life with the freedom to do what I enjoy; it doesn’t get any better than that. To me that’s being outdoors, usually trying to find a wave to ride, playing a little golf, riding a skateboard ramp, or holding up a fishing pole while enjoying the company of friends and family. The more time I can spend doing that, the less the stressors and negative aspects of life will affect me. This is where my debt of gratitude for George W. Bush comes in.

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the United States. Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time will begin on the second Sunday in March and end the first Sunday in November. That’s right; President Bush gave us an extra hour of day light for six more weeks out of the year. Thank God we elected him for a second term! Of course, this Energy Policy Act was created for the benefit of farmers, but I’d like to think President Bush just wanted to give surfers a chance to catch a few more waves.

So next March when my paycheck is the same as last March and my rent and gas prices have increased, I’m not going to complain. Why? Because when I get off of work I’m going to enjoy the extra hour of daylight a month early. I’m going to use that time to make my day worthwhile and much more enjoyable by doing the things that I love to do, instead of going home to watch Wheel of Fortune. Because of George W. Bush’s signature I’m going to ride more waves, play more golf, skateboard longer and catch more fish in my lifetime. Aside from anything else attributed to his presidency, for that I owe him a great deal of thanks, and it’s that easy to find the good in others.