Meghan - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: family, love

I believe that mothers are superheroes. Mothers have powers like no other group of people. They can’t fly, but they can see through things. They may not be able to cure cancer, but they can definitely heal a broken heart. My own mom has shown me that the powers mothers have are anything but ordinary.

Super power #1: Mothers have the ability to speak with their eyes. From the time I was able to speak and understand words, my mom has been able to tell me things with her eyes. When I was a pre-teen with an attitude and always seemed to do the wrong thing, she didn’t need to say a word to tell me how much trouble I was in. She gave me “the look” and I knew how angry she was. When I grew up and walked down the aisle to my future husband, I saw her telling me how much she loved me. Her eyes told me. Her eyes can speak.

Super power #2: Mothers have the ability to heal. My mother has always been able to make things better. She has fixed my broken heart, gotten rid of my fears, and helped to make bad things, like loss and defeat, better. Her hugs, kisses, words, and love can fix almost anything. Though she is not a doctor, she has always known the best remedy.

Super power #3: Mothers have the ability to see through things. Fake smiles, fake tears, and fake words have never worked with my mother. After doing something wrong, like staying out too late, and trying to make her feel bad, I’d make myself cry. My mother never believed it, and always knew the tears were phony. When I felt miserable, but didn’t want anyone to know, especially her, she knew the smile wasn’t genuine. Lying has never worked with my mom. She sees through lies like a glass wall. My mom has x-ray vision when it comes to my emotions and words.

Super power #4: Mothers have the ability to love unconditionally. As a child, I spoke back to my mother and refused to do things she told me to do. As a teenager, I lied and told my mother I hated her. Even as an adult, I’ve said things to try and make her feel small. My mother has never said she hated me. She has never said things to make me feel bad about myself. My mom loves me no matter what I say or do. There is not a day that goes by that she doesn’t tell me she loves me. Even on those days that I act like anything but a perfect daughter, my mom makes sure I know how much she loves me. She has the ability to look beyond my nastiness, rudeness, or insensitivity. She has the ability to love no matter what. Besides mothers, who else possesses such a power?

I believe that mothers are superheroes. The abilities they possess are unlike any others. Where would we all be without mothers?