Cecilia - El Paso, Texas

I believe in my grandma; she is everything to me, she is my mother.

Ever since I was born, I have been known to live by my grandma’s rules and regulations. She is the one who has brought me up in this world. She is my caregiver and my life. My grandma knows me like the back of her hand and I know her the same way. She is a short woman who can speak her mind; she is 57 years old with four children and eight grandchildren. When she is in an angry mood I do not want to be around. What can I say, she is my grandmother

About three years ago she had a tumor in her intestine, which spread to become an infection of her colon. I almost lost her. She had lost a massive amount of blood, and I did not know if was ever going to see her alive again. One of the times that I was next to her, sick in the hospital bed, I started to reflect on all the times I misbehaved and every time I took her for granted…then I started to pray. Luckily, she did have a second chance on life, and that is when I realized that life is too short; I believe in my grandma.

She has taught me many things but then I notice that sometimes I take her words for granted. My grandma has always been there for me, and I would not know what I’d do without her. I would not know where I would be without my grandma there to support me. She is the bravest woman I know, because she has survived through so much. She has taught me everything I know: how to love, how to respect myself, and especially, how to forgive.

There are times where I do answer back to her, and there are times where she can be bad-tempered, but then I realize whatever she does, she does it to benefit me. My grandma is my mother figure because she is the one who has taken care of me for the past eighteen years. My grandma would do anything to protect me. The reason I say this is because when I was a child, about a year old or so, she was carrying me within a blanket down the stairs. She could not see the steps, and tripped because the blanket was in the way. She was holding me at the same time; and we ended up falling down the stairs. She never let me go! She ended up having a broken ankle and bruises from the fall, be she saved my life.

I believe in my grandma because she is always there to protect me. I believe in my grandma because I know that she loves me and will always watch over me. I believe in my grandma because she is my educator of life. I believe in my grand ma because she is my mother figure. I believe in my grandma.