Meghan - Va. Beach, Virginia

Friendship

I believe that friendship is a major necessity in life. Friends are always there when we need a shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to, and to give advice when we need it most. Friends are my confidants, they give me a sense of security, and they bring great joy into my life. After all, my friends are my life. Friends are like a bridge that keeps us above the water. I believe deeply in my friends because they believe in me too. When I am hurting or down I definitely know who to turn to. My friends give me the strength and courage in life that I need to keep my head up straight and live life to the fullest. It is my friends who encourage me to try new things that I have not tried before. They bring out the best of me. They never judge me if I make the wrong decision in life, they accept it and help me along the way. They just simply accept me for who I am. They stand by me strong and no matter what happens, I know that they will always be by my side.

Sometimes I think that something devastating in life has to take place for us to realize how great that someone really is. We know how great they really are, and miss them when they are gone. A few years ago a dear friend of mine received the bad news that he had leukemia. As he struggled and battled the cancer, I made sure that I was by his side the entire time. I was the friend that he could count on to help him through a rough time in his life. It was wonderful news to hear that he had won the battle and was in remission. We celebrated, what great times those were! They lasted only for a short period. Unfortunately, there was more devastating news to come, the cancer had returned. Once again, I did everything that I could to help him. I tried to be the best friend that anyone could ever have. I tried so hard. I am sad to say that he lost his battle with cancer.

It was at that point that made me realize how big of a role friendship plays in life. Without friends in our lives I know that we would be lost. I had a hard time coping with things after losing such a close friend. A few months later I received an unexpected phone call from his mother. She had been going through some of his belongings and came upon a letter addressed to me. In the letter he told me that he couldn’t have asked for a better friend than me. I was relieved to know that I fulfilled my duty. He made me realize that I could be a great friend to someone just as he was to me. I truly believe in friendship.