Evan - Holden, Massachusetts
Themes: integrity

I believe in good character. I believe that the people you love define your character, whether it be good or bad. The definition of the word is the set of qualities that make somebody or something distinctive, especially somebody’s qualities of mind and feeling. Good character, simple put, is the measure of integrity that the individual lives up to. Everyone has someone that they can look to in order to model their own character and integrity.

For me, this person growing up was my grandpa. He displayed the ideal character as described in the bible: displaying the fruits of the spirit. He showed me a love that even though pouring rain would still hold to his word and take me fishing; the joy that even though I was the one catching the fish, he was still there to take the pictures and give me a big hug; the patience that would just give me another piece of his carved wood to paint even after I made a mess of it over and over again; the gentleness that even though strong, would make me feel comforted after falling down the horse path in the back yard; the goodness that would take me to the corner store every Saturday to but my favorite candy; the faithfulness that he demonstrated in his 51 and a half years of marriage to my grandmother; the kindness that would let me use his fishing pole when my rod broke; the self control that even though I crashed the riding lawnmower into the porch, all he did was tell me it was ok and that we can fix it; and the peace that while he was even on his deathbed he pulled me in close and whispered in my ear “My heart is ok, lad.”

I believe in good character. I believe that people like my grandfather will define my character. I believe that even though we are stuck in an immoral society, there are still people out there like my grandfather who value integrity, value family and most importantly value meaningful relationships in where they can demonstrate and lead by example by showing what true character is.

I believe that if you truly have good character, it shows. I believe that if in only had half the character of my grandfather it would be more than I could ever wish for. I believe my lifestyle determines my death style, and that by developing good character you will leave an impression on someone that will never fade away; just like how my grandfather has left a lasting impression on me. I believe in good character. I believe in living your life so that the preacher doesn’t have to lie at your funeral.